Passport is super important for you when you travel abroad. If you lost your passport in China, no worries, follow the 4 Steps below.
Step 1: Obtain a "Receipt of Report"from the Police Station
The loss of a foreign passport must first be reported to the Police Station closest to where the loss occurred.
A receipt will be issued by the Police Station.
Step 2: Obtain a “Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport” from the Exit and Entry Administration Department of Public Security Bureau.
To obtain a “Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport”, you must provide the following:
1. Original and copy of “Receipt of Report” from the Police Station where the passport was lost (see step 1);
2. 2 recent photographs for Foreigners in Guangdong Province and a receipt of such photograph;
3. Report Form with completed statement regarding the loss of passport. Leave the name and telephone number of
your contact person in Guangzhou.
4. Photocopy of evidence for your nationality or citizenship in a foreign country (passport, ID card etc.);
5. Registration Form of Temporary Residence;
6. Copy of your Foreigner's Residence Permit, if you are a Foreigner’s Residence Permit holder;
7. Other documents considered as necessary by the public security authority.
It will normally take two working days for processing upon receipt of all the required documents.
Expedited service can be provided only for a true emergency. Step 3: Apply for a new passport or replacing certificates at your embassy or consulate in China
The validity of a “Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport” is 30 days. Within 30 days, you must apply for a new passport or replacing certificate at your embassy or consulate in China and apply for a visa or residence permit to the Exit and Entry Administration Division of the Public Security Bureau with this “Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport”.
Those who failed to finish such proceedings within 30 days will constitute illegal stay in China and will be punished according to the law. Step 4: Apply a Chinese Visa or Residence Permit for the Exit and Entry Administration Department of Public Security Bureau
To make sure you can continue your stay in China or exit China, you must apply for a new Chinese visa or Residence Permit to the Exit and Entry Administration Division of the Public Security Bureau immediately after you get a new passport or replacing certificates.
5 working days Tips for you to take good care of your passport when you still have them:
1) Scan your passport, keep one in your computer and bring one with you.
2) Fill in the emergency contact on the last page of your passport, in case someone who picks it know who to contact with.