Netizen Debate: Should New Mothers Breastfeed in Public?

Netizen Debate: Should New Mothers Breastfeed in Public?
Oct 28, 2015 By eChinacities.com

A mother started a heated online debate when she posted her story on online about being publicly shamed for breastfeeding her baby on a crowded bus.

A few days ago, a young mother posted that she had been shamed by fellow passengers after breastfeeding her baby on a bus last week. She said that she had taken her baby on the bus, the ride had been long, and the child had begun to cry out of hunger. She tried to coax the baby, but the crying only grew louder.

“I saw that everyone around me looked very impatient. I was anxious, but I had no choice but to breastfeed the baby under my clothes,” she said. As soon as she began to feed the child, the woman next to her shouted, “For shame! Shame! Get off the bus…”

The young mother was “both embarrassed and flustered.” “I usually care a lot about how I present myself in public. But my baby was crying and distressed. I did not want everyone to watch, ah!”

Netizens quickly gave their opinions. Many commenters were also young mothers, who supported the woman. Those who were against her actions were mostly men.

Jin Ping, a single female commenter, also disapproved. “I have seen a mother lift up her clothing to breastfeed on a bus before. I was totally shocked!”

A number of users believe that the child was too young to be taken out of the house if it still needed to be breastfeed. Others suggested that mothers can use powdered milk instead, and feed their children with bottles while in public.

Source: inews.qq.com

Keywords: China mothers China breastfeeding China Netizens

Karajorma

"Wang Xin, a male commenter in his 30s, wrote that a woman breastfeeding in public is “unsightly.” “I definitely do not want to take a picture of that!”" How's about not using your phone for once in your life!

Oct 29, 2015 17:15 Report Abuse

Noel05

There is no shame in spitting in public. There is no shame in pissing in public. There is no shame in lifting the T shirt walking bare chested. There is no shame in smoking in no smoking areas. There is no shame in drinking and vomiting or passing out in restaurant, roads and anywhere under the sun. There is no shame in using a public transport with breath smelling of a dead rat. Then why there is shame in a mother feeding her child under the clothes ?

Oct 29, 2015 16:40 Report Abuse

adb2014

Well, almost all of these behaviours are done by men. China is very much a male-dominated society, so that's why behaviour like that can pass without too much fuss. Just my two cents worth.

Nov 03, 2015 01:27 Report Abuse

RobRocks

my wife had to breast feed in public,she had no choice,our baby was hungry.

Oct 29, 2015 07:55 Report Abuse

same here. and there has never once been any reaction. but iheard in many cities of the west they have a big problem with this like its a taboo or something.

Oct 29, 2015 16:35 Report Abuse

letting the baby starve would've been okay...

Oct 29, 2015 05:39 Report Abuse

yongge

Oh the horror, seeing a naked breast. But showing everything else when using the street as a toilet is OK. WTF! Why are exposed breasts such a taboo thing in China?

Oct 28, 2015 22:58 Report Abuse

must be just where you live where street toilet is ok. but generally it's not.

Oct 29, 2015 16:32 Report Abuse

yongge

Kuntman, you are not in China then, are you? Hiding behind a guest name. Have you heard of sarcasm? There are many things that are generally not OK, but is still done.

Oct 30, 2015 08:40 Report Abuse

RandomGuy

So I guess spitting, urinating and defecating in public is acceptable, but breastfeeding is not? Seriously what's wrong with Chinese people? Breastfeeding is one of the most natural/human thing to exist, women have breasts for this very reason. And of course the haters are men and single women, because they are not happy with their own life so they try to ruin other people's lives. Also I notice that kissing is still not acceptable, I get angry stares whenever I kiss my girlfriend, my Chinese friends also get angry stares so it has nothing to do with me being a Foreigner, but the people who shit and piss everywhere... no one bats an eyelid.

Oct 28, 2015 21:32 Report Abuse

hope they piss and shit in your bed sometime. it'd be more than you deserve.

Oct 29, 2015 16:31 Report Abuse

I'm not surprised Chinese people would freak out. They probably think the baby just needs a cup of hot water. Really, those are probably the same people that proudly hawk loogies, shit on the street, put their finger as far up their nose as possible, walk around with their guts out, never use deodorant, smoke in all public places, and believe it is their duty to either hit, or be hit by their boyfriend.

Oct 28, 2015 19:46 Report Abuse

go back to planet loo-lah mate. they need you there to wipe the arses of the aged and decrepit.

Oct 29, 2015 16:29 Report Abuse

royceH

A mother breast feeding her baby is a beautiful thing. A Chinese man walking around with his guts hanging out should be a jailable offence. And if he should happen to spit while walking around with his guts hanging out the offence should be upgraded to a whacking.

Oct 28, 2015 19:17 Report Abuse

Lord_hanson

What is the problem? It is more natural to be feeding a baby then to sit in a piece of metal powered by controlled explosions but riding the bus is normal now. When did it become "wrong" to feed your child?

Oct 28, 2015 19:16 Report Abuse