For those interested in sampling some of the best food that Shanghai has to offer (and really, who isn't?), Restaurant Week can be one of the most wonderful times of the year. Well, it's coming up again for the sixth year in a row and this time it will be held from September 3-9. Featuring almost 100 participating restaurants, this year is looking like it just might be the best one yet.
So what is restaurant week? Basically it's a chance for people to sample a variety of different dining establishments they may not normally frequent, via discounted set menus. This year, depending on the restaurant you choose, the set lunch will cost either 78 RMB or 188 RMB, while set dinners run either 168 RMB or 248 RMB (some restaurants, especially those located in hotels, also tack on a 15% surcharge). This provides a great opportunity for people to try all the pricy restaurants they've always wanted to visit on a more modest price scale.
Due to certain restaurants' insane popularity, however, it's absolutely a must to make reservations in advance. Booking becomes available at http://www.restaurantweek.cn/lang/en beginning at 16:00 on August 15. Keep in mind that some of the more well-known restaurants usually sell out within a few days.
Which restaurants are looking particularly appealing this year? Jimmy's Kitchen bills itself as “the oldest Western restaurant in Shanghai” and still manages to stay on everyone's radar, while The Meet is notoriously generous with their superb cuts of meat (and notoriously expensive!). The classic Mr. and Mrs. Bund is also likely to have their reservations snatched up quickly by those wanting to catch a glimpse inside.
Some restaurants have already released their special Restaurant Week menus. Below is a sampling of four restaurants that are likely to be big winners during the first week of September:
1) T8 (118 RMB)View In Map
- Your choice of smoked tomato soup with padano consommé and pancetta dust or a selection of tuna, salmon, clam, and octopus sushi with wasabi sorbet, yuzu, and soy penne.
- Your choice of Pan-seared prawns, stewed vegetable pastille, comfit shimenji and green pea caviar sferic or Angus beef tenderloin, carrot patch, seasonal vegetables, apple & foie tart, and red wine jus ball.
- Your choice of eight textures of chocolate or rose sabayon, cinnamon ice cream, and mandarin granite.
Add: House 8, North Block Xintiandi, Lane 181 Taicang Lu, Shanghai (near Huangpi Nan Lu)
Tel: 021 6355 8999
Opening hours: 11:30-14:30; 18:30-23:30
2) El Willy Set Lunch (118 RMB)View In Map
- Gazpacho "Andaluz"
- Your choice of Latin style seafood ceviche wrapped in rice paper with mango and coriander or terrinedecampagne, pickles, and mustard served with toast bread or 21st century Russian salad.
- Your choice of "nido" served in brioche with tomato and sobrasada or patatas pannadera, romesco, roasted peppers, and confit tomatoes.
- Your choice of lightly-smoked chicken thigh with orange rice or "zarzuela de marisco" with toasted garlic bread or vegetables "Frivolite" roasted veggies in different textures and flavors.
- Surprise dessert.
Add: 5/F, 22 Zhongshan Dong Er Lu, Shanghai (near Xinkaihe Lu)
Tel: 021 5404 5757
Opening hours: Mon-Sat, 11:00-14:30; 18:00-22:30
3) Pelham's Set Dinner (248 RMB + 15% surcharge)View In Map
- Freshly shucked and creamed Fines de Claire oysters, cucumber, and caviar
- Herb crusted wild turbot, melted leek, fennel, and porcini essence
- 120 days grain-fed Australian beef tenderloin, beetroot, Chinese broccoli, and foie gras jus
- Mint and chocolate mousse, dark chocolate craquant
Add: 1/F, Waldorf Astoria Club, 2 Zhongshan Dong Yi Road, Shanghai
Tel: 021 6322 9988
Opening hours: 11:30-15:00; 18:00-23:00
4) Jean Georges Set Dinner (248 RMB)View In Map
- Your choice of foie gras brûlé and cherry-yuzu compote or crispy crab beignets, black pepper sauce and pear salad
- Caramelized onion soup
- Your choice of grilled beef strip loin, eleven-flavor condiment, potato purée and herbal spinach or slowly cooked cod with aromatic black beans and truffle juice
- Your choice of Jean-Georges chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream or Grand Marnier soufflé and mandarin sorbet
Add: 4/F, 3 Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, Shanghai (near Guangdong Lu)
Tel: 021 6321 7733
Opening hours: 11:30-14:30, 18:00-23:00
Below is a full list of this year's Shanghai Restaurant Week participants. Remember to book early and go often!
Warning：The use of any news and articles published on eChinacities.com without written permission from eChinacities.com constitutes copyright infringement, and legal action can be taken.
Keywords: Shanghai restaurant week 2012 Shanghai restaurant discounts 2012 best western food in Shanghai best foreign restaurants Shanghai
All comments are subject to moderation by eChinacities.com staff. Because we wish to encourage healthy and productive dialogue we ask that all comments remain polite, free of profanity or name calling, and relevant to the original post and subsequent discussion. Comments will not be deleted because of the viewpoints they express, only if the mode of expression itself is inappropriate.
Please login to add a comment. Click here to login immediately.